Over the last few weeks we have been asked the same question so many time - "Will there be a car show season at all in 2020?" Let's break it all down with the most educated answers we can give you based on what we know.
1. Count April and May Out. Governor Murphy has extended his executive orders of social distancing, closures, and ban on all gatherings through May 20th. At that time, or a bit sooner, he will make a decision on the next steps.
2. Don't Expect Any Restrictions To Be Lifted UNTIL The Numbers Start Going Down. As of the writing of this article, the numbers of infected are still going up. The peak is expected to be within the next week or so, around April 20th. These are only assumptions based on the current information, things can change, especially if we don't follow the social distancing guidelines. If these guidelines are relaxed too soon, the numbers of infected will most likely start going up again.
2. Re-Opening the State (and Country) will be a gradual process. The facts are simple - this virus spreads easily through human contact. It would be foolish to think that once May 20th hits everything will go back to normal - it won't. Expect schools to be re-opened first, followed by businesses, then the gradual relaxing of social distancing guidelines. We expect (and this is only our opinion) that the first step would be allowing groups or 10 or less, followed by 50 or less, and then 250 or less before the restrictions are totally lifted. Gatherings will most likely be the last restriction listed as education and economy are far more important.
3. June Looks Like a Long Shot At Best. If you have a car show in June, you may be re-scheduling it. As we said above, the restrictions will most likely be gradually relaxed, and based on Governor Murphy's remarks and statements in press conferences and interviews, he feels this could go well into the summer and has said that there won't be changes "anytime soon."
4. July? It's Possible, But Not Guaranteed. For the same reasons as June. The bottom line is simple - the fate of our car show season will be determined by the common sense of others.